Monday, May 18, 2009

The Japanese Version - Products that show sterotypes

This is how Americans enjoy their coffee, lying on the hood of a convertible.
This clearly shows a highly iconic stereotype of American culture.
Many people in Japan were shocked to find out that I (an American) preferred tea to coffee.

Many "foreign" products often reveal stereotypes of the cultures they came from.

A "French" salon.

This free tour bus in Asakusa (Tokyo) features winking eyes, and a cheerful bus driver who loves to take foreign guests around. If you look carefully you can see he is wearing a "Ninja" headband, which is actually from a Naruto (comic/manga) anime cosplay outfit. His enthusiasm and friendly attitude are wonderful, but I can't help but think that he is only serving to deepen bizarre, if not charming, stereotypes that foreigners have towards Japan.

1 comment:

  1. I just found that Japan is really a cute country just like what we saw in the Japan amnag and anime.
    So if you want to found the same cute bags you can look at Leather Hobo Handbags black at http://www.cwmalls.com

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Related websites: http://theatreofmind.livejournal.com/ - another blog I created http://flickr.com/photos/mafu/ - my flickr page This blog is a class project for my Visual Anthropology Class; as such it is for educational purposes only. All photos posted here are taken by the blog author unless otherwise noted. If any problem with the posting of a particular photo is brought to my attention, I will earnestly review the problem and remove the photo if necessary.