Monday, May 18, 2009

Final impressions - Great Japanese Graphic design

For my final post for this blog, I would like to introduce one of my favorite and most lasting impressions of Japan. Japanese graphic design. As and experienced graphic designer, I immediately noticed that Japanese Graphic design is unique, clever, and often very well done. The Japanese traditional and pop cultures allow for designs that would never be possible in the west, many of these designs are truly innovative and charming. One interesting and common Japanese motif is using cuteness to help convey a message, or diffuse tension. This is especially effective when the content is sensitive and is good in sending out helpful reminders, while keeping every one's feelings from getting hurt.

For those with further interest, In the coming weeks I will organize and upload my full collection to my Flickr page.

Some of my favorites:

The sign reads, "construction ahead." (and therefore road closed) Road closures are a nuisance, but a great big photo of a cute puppy really softens the blow.


A poster about bad manners on the train. Don't be like the rude monkey! The message is strong, but the cuteness helps keep everyone from getting too offended.


(look close:) The barber shop's sign has three barber poles running with scissors. Your grandmother may have told you never to run with scissors, but in this case it really helps lend a feeling that your haircut will be speedy and efficient.

An old sign on an abandoned building. Probably designed in the 70's. The red circle shaped emblem is reminiscent of Japanese seals, and to a lesser degree, family crests.

Graphic design not only uses cuteness, but is also not afraid to use fear to get its message across.

Another poster of manners at the train station. The classy calligraphy reminds customers that manners is a matter of "heart."
One of my personal favorites: Murasaki shikibu would love to sell you a frying pan or appliance. (This is located in Uji city in Kyoto. Uji is known not only for it's tea but also for being the setting for the final 9 chapters of Murasaki Shikibu's heian period novel "The Tale of Genji.")

6 comments:

  1. Nice examples and pics. I wonder how Japanese graphic design - as your last and changing impression - will affect and influence your future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to have a trip to Japan too, and Japan is my favorite country!
    I also love Leather Hobo Handbags black at http://www.cwmalls.com too because this one as cute as Japan!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Related websites: http://theatreofmind.livejournal.com/ - another blog I created http://flickr.com/photos/mafu/ - my flickr page This blog is a class project for my Visual Anthropology Class; as such it is for educational purposes only. All photos posted here are taken by the blog author unless otherwise noted. If any problem with the posting of a particular photo is brought to my attention, I will earnestly review the problem and remove the photo if necessary.